Thursday, August 10, 2017

Coming Home

Saturday, 10 November 1945, 8:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, how is my lonesome wife tonight? I do hope this isn't getting you down any more than it has me. That is bad enough.
     Coming direct from the horse's mouth, the captain in this case. Leslie and I should be receiving orders in the next fifteen days. Don't get your hopes up too high. Just wait for the glad tidings and then smile, or if I know you well, cry with happiness.
     I've been in little better spirits this afternoon. Reason? Two whiskeys and coke plus three beers. All before dinner. Then after chow we went to the movies. The picture was "Guest Wife" with Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche. It was hilariously funny.
     I read another condensed story in Omnibook. This time it was "Coming Home" by Lester Cohen. From the way it reads the original must be excellent.
     For now, no more to write to my love, so I'll sign off. Goodnight Darling.

Yours alone,
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment