Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Pearl Harbor--Novocain


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
25 September 1944, 10:45 PM 
Dearest Eleanor,
     Is everything alright? No mail today and with Norma being sick I'm a little concerned.  I hope the morning mail brings the glad tidings that Norma is up and kicking again.
     This has been a busy day for me. I worked steadily all morning and afternoon up till 4:00 PM. In addition to ship's company I've been getting patients based ashore who can't get taken care of. As a personal favor to officer friends aboard I've taken care of several men based elsewhere. It is wonderful what effect a shot of Novocain has on a patient and how grateful they are for the little extra consideration.
     We finally got our movie equipment rigged up so that we can see pictures on deck. What a relief it was to sit and see a movie with a nice cool breeze blowing all the time. It has been much warmer lately and the stuffiness took all the pleasure out of seeing a movie. The picture tonight was "The Avenger," a British production, and good. A propaganda story about Norway before and after Nazi occupation.
     There are several changes to be made in my operating room which will make my work easier. We've been discussing the changes for the past half hour and now the plans are complete. Nothing more for now. I'll finish in the AM after I've gotten the morning mail (I hope). Good night dear and pleasant dreams.

Tuesday 8:15 AM
     Good morning darling. Hope you slept well last night. No mail again this morning and now I'm really worried. Hope the mail this afternoon brings me good news. In the past a day or two went by and then I'd get a whole stack so here is hoping.
     There really is nothing new to write about since last night except that I'm alive and kicking. Do you remember how you and Linda would meet me at the steamboat landing at Catalina and what a reunion that was every week? Well after this war when I come home that reunion will be our last. Then we'll always be together wherever we go.
     So long dear, I'll write again tonight. I do love you.

Your anxious
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment