Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Pearl Harbor--Lunch and Dinner

Daughter Linda recalls that before the war, her parents held an open house every Wednesday evening. Two of Gil's cooking specialties were a fiery cocktail sauce and spaghetti. His crazy omelets always included onions, worcestershire sauce and tabasco. 

Lt. (j.g) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
September 28, 1944, 10:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Well here I am again. Just got back from liberty and now for our little visit. Several navy civilian employees invited us over to their house for some drinks and dinner. Nothing had been started in the way of food when we got there so I volunteered to make spaghetti. The shelves were loaded with mushrooms, tomato paste, tomato sauce and the condiments I usually use. I went to town. There were seven of us men and we sure cleaned up. I also fixed a bit of lunch, one of my crazy omelet combinations. The place was up in the hills so we left at 8:30 PM to get back at 10:00 PM and we just about made it.
     Got a letter from you this morning and am pleased to hear that you are getting settled. What happened to Wally that he is on crutches? A thirty days leave is usual when one returns from overseas.
     Glad to hear that you were too tired to write a long letter. I love to read your letters, but being so tired shows that you are keeping busy and I bet you'll sleep better.
     Just got a short note from Dr. White. He says he has had difficulty getting together with you on an appointment. Try to get your teeth completed and out of the way.
     Good night dear and I'll be with you again in the morning.

Friday 29 September 1944, 8:30 AM
     Good morning dear, isn't it wonderful what a good night's sleep will do? This climate would be ideal for the kids. You'd never have to worry about whether they were warm enough or dry. If they did get wet, they'd dry in no time. Living in a place like this does have its advantages.
     Well, I wonder what the morning mail brings. I've gotten replies to all my notes except those to Earl, Leon, Harry Sieger and Nina Hursey. Wrote Aranoff and Bergman but it is a little soon to expect a reply.
     Do you remember how much we enjoyed Wednesday night at home? After the war we'll continue but we'll know better about whom to ask.
     Bye Sweetheart must go to work now. How's about a nice big kiss before I go?

I love you,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment