Saturday, December 29, 2018

WWII New Year Aboard Ship



Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 31 December 1944, 11:55 PM

Dearest Eleanor,
Well dear, 1944 is almost gone but not quite forgotten. I'm afraid it has burned an indelible mark on the hearts of many ... After dinner I bought all the corpsmen a drink just as I did on Xmas. The movie tonight was "Song of the Open Road" which I had seen before but went anyway. After the movie we all pooled our resources and had a party--champagne, bourbon, rye, and even a little Southern Comfort. I took it easy because I wanted to be sure to see the old year out and the New Year in with you. I am plenty sleepy and a little high so I'm going to sign off. Without recalling past New Years Eves when we were together and very happy, I'm going to say good night my darling until tomorrow (or today)...
Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
 U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 1 January 1945, 7:35 PM

Dearest Eleanor,
And so begins a new year. First, I want to tell you a little more of the celebration aboard. After I finished my letter I intended to turn in, but no chance. The men had gotten hold of pots, pans, garbage can tops and the band's drums and were parading all over the ship making a most ungodly racket. Most of the officers were fairly well oiled. We all went up to the Captain's quarters to serenade him and wish him a happy new year. We probably awoke him so I doubt if he appreciated it. Then we returned to the wardroom for a snack and finally I turned in ... The movie tonight is "Should Strangers Marry" and the cast are all unknown to me ... Darling, do you remember New Years Day of previous years? Just lounging around because we were too sleepy and tired to go anyplace. I'd listen to the football game and maybe doze off before it was all over. Well, Sweet next year we'll stay home together and rest and listen to the ball game in-between (?)...
Good night Sweetheart, the movie is about due to begin.
Love, 
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment