Monday, January 28, 2019

Ulithi--Presidential Election

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 17 November 1944, 9:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello My Darling, how are you today? Since I wrote last night, I dropped notes to Deb and Dave, my mother, your mother and Ruth. After I finish this letter I'll do some more catching up. I just got two letters today, one from Deb and Dave and one from you, My Sweet.
     This morning was the same as usual. Spent most of it working. After lunch I got into a blackjack game and won six or seven dollars. I don't know how long my luck will hold out but it does help the time pass. I can't get hurt much so I'll indulge in a little gambling now and then.
     You ask how the ship's officers stood on the presidential election. Well with the exception of one or two I believe they were all for Roosevelt. Quite different from what it was in San Diego. There, most of the older men were for Dewey and the young men for Roosevelt. Anyway now that the die is cast we've had lots of good natured kidding about the future of our country and it was good for a laugh.
     As I've written before the dolls were ordered and should arrive before Xmas day. Wouldn't it be swell if I were home then? It doesn't look like there is any chance for that to happen but while there is life there is hope and nothing that happens in the Navy surprises me anymore.
     The movie tonight was "Thunderbirds," a real oldie. I'd seen it before but so long ago I couldn't remember what came next so I enjoyed it as much as the first time.
     Honey, do you remember your birthday many years ago when I gave you that ring I made for you in school? Well I may not be with you this year but beginning in 1945 and forever after we'll celebrate all birthdays together. That's all for now Sweetheart, goodnight.
Lovingly,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment