Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Ulithi--Case of Beer $1.50


See a video of the Ulithi Anchorage on the day this letter was written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8hhbQ7oho



Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 6 December 1944, 7:00 PM 
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, how is my Sweet today? Now that we are having two showings of movies nightly I'll write before I go and take in the second show.
     This morning, right after breakfast, I took a boat over to one of the supply barges in the harbor and arranged a purchase of 300 cases of beer at $1.50 per case. The beer is for ship's company when they go ashore on liberty. That way we save 50 cents a case and can give the men as much as we want to. Otherwise we are limited to 3 cans per man.
     When I got back I went to work and kept busy in my office until 11:20. Then I visited for a few minutes with the skipper before eating lunch.
     After eating I read some of "Prodigal Women" and censored some mail. At 2:00 PM I went back to my office as I had a couple of appointments. Then I straightened out the locker where I keep all the games and passed out a few to the crew. Then I showered and relax with my book until dinner and here I am.
     Today I got three more letters and that cute card from you . It seems that ten days is about as fast as I can expect mail from you although once or twice I got some in eight.
     Dave is correct about APAs. They carry troops and enough cargo for the initial attack. However why worry anymore about that? The Ocelot is definitely not a combat ship nor is it to be used in any invasions.
     We have a ship's newspaper and all news is received by radio over a special broadcast. So I'm keeping up with football as well as the news. We pick up a US station from the Philippines and "Tokyo Rose" very often.
     Your day at the races sounds very interesting. Take it easy and don't lose you "shirt."
     Dear I am writing every day. You know about the couple of times I missed, and I promised not to do that again and I haven't. Be patient, some of those batches of letters covered a span of seven to eight days.
     Don't worry about my "whoozis." It's in fine shape and getting plenty of rest for the big event of 1945. Such dreams--tsk, tsk, tsk.
     Sounds like you are a little friendlier with Mary. I know that'll make things easier.
     About the accounts: They should all be good, though slow. Keep plugging. 25% is as good in our bank as in Clark's or Selder's.
     The movie tonight is "Are Husbands Necessary" and I won't ask you the answer. Will tell you about it tomorrow.
     Dear, do you remember the surprise you got every time I got a big case? We'll go through that routine all over again after the war.
     Well sweetheart, I am managing a little more than my usual short note and I'm enjoying writing as much as you enjoy reading it. Good night my Sweet, till tomorrow
Love,
Gil

Gil and Engineering Officer drinking beer on Ulithi











No comments:

Post a Comment