Friday, May 17, 2019

Ulithi--Mail Service

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O San Francisco
Tuesday 19 December 1944, 7:15 P.M.
Dearest Eleanor,
     Got several pieces of mail. But only one that mattered, a letter from you postmarked November 30 and yesterday it was the 18th. Well that's the mail service out here.
     Finally got the correspondence course, a post card from Ethyl, dated October 18. And surprise--a letter from holier than thou, Leon. "Write soon," he says "and I'll answer promptly."
     Dear I'm all confused about the bank balances. Send me the balances at both banks as soon after January 1 when you get the statements.
     There is nothing else in your letter that needs any comment. I know from later letters that the kids are both well and that you're still Xmas shopping.
     I just picked up enough shells to make two matched necklaces for Linda and Norma. However there is one obstacle. I cannot find any small fine chains. How about buying a couple inexpensive ones and sending them on along with you letter via air mail. Then I may get it before I get ordered back to the states. Still awaiting the Xmas cards. Bet I get them along with my Xmas packages.
     Not much doing today. I worked on some men from another ship this morning. After lunch I finished "Imperial City." A medical officer came over to see Dr. Bushyager who had gone ashore, so I showed him around. He is on a repair ship and has invited me over to show me around. I'm planning to do that in the next day or so.
     Sweetheart, do you remember how busy we always were before Xmas shopping and wrapping gifts? Now it's more than two months since I shopped and you have to wrap all by your lonesome. Next year we'll do it together again. Is it a date? OK
     I got some crayolas so here is a copy of my "art."
     Good night darling. I love you always
Your loving,
Gil


Leon Rosove
"Holier Than Thou"





2 comments:

  1. Priceless, how wonderful to have this for your family, absolutely a memory that cannot be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad kept his promise and wrote over 500 daily letters to my mom during WWII. My mom kept her promise and saved them. Instead of throwing them away, my dad gave them to me.

    ReplyDelete