Monday, June 17, 2019

Ulithi--Routine Matters

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday, 28 December 1944, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Well darling here I am again. Nothing much to talk about. Just routine matters to take care of.
     Worked all morning and then read a couple of stories in the "Post." After lunch I visited with a Jewish ensign who is waiting for his ship and living aboard temporarily. Then I finished a little something I've been making for Linda. I am going to make one for Norma and one for you to match. Won't tell, I want it to be a surprise.
     Just before dinner I visited with the skipper and discussed additional recreation for the ship's company. Then I showered and changed. After dinner I talked with a few of the officers attached to the flag. Don't set your heart on it but there is a good chance of us heading home in about three months. It's all scuttlebutt, but usually this source is reliable.
     The movie tonight is "Oh, What a Night," with Eddie Low and Jean Park. Also there is one reel of Community Singing, a cartoon, a newsreel, a travelogue, and a reel on fishing. Quite a complete show, eh?
     There was no mail again today and I'm really looking forward to my mail now. Just not hearing for five days seems like I haven't heard in five years.
     Darling, do you remember when you were in Philly and how I never would put down in black and white just how I felt? Am I a changed correspondent now? Or don't you still know? Well darling for any little doubts that you may have just wait until I return. My how they will vanish.
     Good night Sweetheart, I love you with all my heart and --- (?)
Love,
Gil







No comments:

Post a Comment