Saturday, October 5, 2019

Ulithi--Heat Rash

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 29 January 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, here I am again. Had quite a busy morning and wasn't through with work until after eleven. Then I went to my room and read until lunch time.
     I broke out with heat rash so after lunch I went up of the poop deck, stripped down and got the sun for a half hour. Sunshine seems to be the best remedy for this type of rash.
     Then back to my office for more work. I was all cleared up by 3:00 PM so I had a coke for a little refresher and censored some mail. By then it was four o'clock so I stripped down to my skivvies (shorts to you) and worked on a jigsaw puzzle until it was time to shower and dress for dinner.
     After eating a few of us stood out on the bridge deck enjoying the cool refreshing ocean breeze. And so here I am.
     There was only one letter. It was from Ambie. He is en route to San Francisco and promised to phone you when he gets there. He seems to be feeling very well. No doubt the fact that he is returning to the states has helped him a lot.
     The movie last night, "Belle of the Yukon," had lots of stars and possibilities, but it was only fair. Tonight we have Merle Oberon and Franchot Tone in "Dark Waters" and I do hope it's good. The story was run in the Post magazine recently.
     Nothing that is new, Sweet, so I'm going to sign off. Good night, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil

U.S.S. Ocelot









No comments:

Post a Comment