Monday, January 20, 2020

Ulithi--Medical Report

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 28 February 1945, 10:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my darling, did you sleep well last night? It was past 2:00 AM when I finally turned in last night and I slept like a log until 8:45 this morning.
     I stayed up because the doctor was operating and there was a chance that he'd want me to give the patient ether. However the spinal worked perfectly and I didn't have a thing to do but catch up on my correspondence. I wrote notes to both mothers, Deb and Dave (swell news, eh!), Ethyl and Libby.
     Saw a couple of patients this morning and then worked up the wardroom statement for the month. Hope to have it balanced and completed by tomorrow night.
     My heat rash is much better, but I got about 45 minutes of sun just the same. I'm going to get rid of it and try to continue with the same treatment because it does come back.
     I didn't get to censor any mail yesterday because I was busy doing other things. So I had twice as much to censor today. I spent from 4:00 to 5:15 this afternoon on that. Then I showered and dressed for dinner.
     The movie tonight was very good. It was "The Woman of the Year" with Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn and Fay Bainter. You should see it if you haven't. I know you'd enjoy it.
     I've had a sore back all day and thought my kidneys were bothering me. Well a few minutes ago I got the doctor to take a look. It was just a tight muscle. He got one of our pharmacist mates to give me a good rub down and it feels much better already.
     There was no mail today, not even a magazine, but who am I to complain. After getting seventeen letters in two days I really shouldn't expect anything, but just the same I'll be disappointed if I don't get a letter from you tomorrow.
     Well, Sweetheart, that is thirty for today. I love you and miss you more each day. Wonder if we'll ever catch up with all that we've missed. Well we'll try and have fun doing it.
Yours always,
Gil







No comments:

Post a Comment