Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Okinawa--Lost Both Anchors

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday, 20 September 1945, 9:45 PM
Dearest Wife,
     Hello Darling here I am safe and sound. We got off the reef this afternoon and we are not taking on any water. How this ship stood the beating she did is besides me. The liberty ship that landed on the reef beside us is about ready to break in two; she is a much newer ship than the "Mighty O" as the Ocelot is so often called.
     All hands were called at 4:30 AM so today has been another long one. Now that we are afloat again and aren't leaking like we thought we would, I'll be able to get back to a more or less normal routine. I did work all morning and the early part of the afternoon. Then I read for awhile and dozed off for an hour. When I woke I showered and dressed for dinner. It was right after chow, at high tide, that we slid off the reef without damaging the hull at all.
     We lost both anchors in the storm so there are two tugs, one on each side of us, that are tied to hold us till morning when we'll tie up to a buoy.
    Tonight's movie was pretty good. It was "You Can't Ration Love" and I agree entirely.
There was a little mail today but none for me. However I'm not complaining. I'm still high man around here and as long as we're apart I know that my darling will keep me that way.
     Wish I knew what comes next but I don't so that's all there is. There ain't no more except that I love you. Goodnight Sweet and pleasant, happy dreams that will soon come true.
Love,
Gil

Negative of Ocelot and tugs.

Mighty "O" and tugs


No comments:

Post a Comment