Saturday, October 2, 2021

Okinawa--Waiting to Get the "H" Out of Here

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Saturday 29 September 1945, 10:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Here I am my darling, still sitting and waiting for the word to get the "h" out of here. I saw a few patients this morning. Most of the days just drag along now. The latest dope is that we'll be out of here in about ten days. Still you'd better not look for me much before December 1. I pray that I'm not raising you hopes falsely again, but it looks like the real thing this time.
     This afternoon I wrote letters to Uncles Mike and Bill and one to Libby as well. Then I began a mystery story called "Fast Company." After dinner we talked until movie time. The feature was "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town." I enjoyed it as much as I did nine years ago. After the movie Dr. Bushyager and I played ping pong for about 45 minutes and now here I am.
     Something very unusual happened today. Mail came aboard, but there was none for me. All the officers kidded me about it because I had my hand out when the mail orderly came in. I was so sure. Oh well, I know my Sweet loves me and I love her. I'll get twice as much mail next time.
     Darling, there is not another darn thing to write about. So goodnight and pleasant dreams.
Love,
Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment