Sunday, June 19, 2022

Okinawa--Hot News!

 APA 187 USS Oconto--Operation MAGIC CARPET 


Friday, 30 November 1945, 3:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     More hot news! I checked into the receiving station this morning and I'm going aboard the APA 187 tomorrow at 8:00 AM. I tried to find out when and where we would arrive, but all I could get was "I think." Anyway this ship makes the run in sixteen days and will probably dock at Frisco.
     After lunch today I hitch hiked to the ship hoping to find some mail, but no soap. When I got back here I found that someone had left me a couple of letters, one from you and one from Dave. It was probably Pete Leslie who brought them.
     I'm too excited to write. Last night, I took some pills for sleeping but it was past 2:00 AM before I finally dozed off. I got up at 6:30 AM, left the camp at 8:00 AM, and got here at 9:00 AM.
     So you think I've changed and that I'm cold? My, my are you in for an awakening.
     I wrote in last night's letter what I wanted you to have for me when I arrive, but just in case the mail gets fouled up, I'll repeat. See if I have a white cap cover and buy a pair of gold buttons for the gold chin strap on the cap. I'll have everything else I'll need--even rubbers though I'd rather not use them.
     Oh heck what's the use I can't think straight now, so I'll sign off. This is probably my last letter so sit tight and do nothing till you hear from me.

Love,
Gil

APA 187 USS Oconto







No comments:

Post a Comment