Sunday, September 11, 2022

Santa Monica--Hypnosis in Dentistry

  

1946-2001

From a lecture by Dr. Gilbert Steingart: 

...when I began to use hypnosis in my practice. My patients were very accepting of its use. However I hesitated to inform my fellow dentists … lest they dub me a nut or a quack. But I’m getting ahead of my story.

It all started when I began to practice dentistry.  I… heard remarks from patients like “Doctor, I hate dentists, nothing personal of course” … What could I … do when a patient said “I’d rather go to the hospital than have my teeth worked on” or “… I’d rather have a baby than have you work on my teeth?” The … use of local anesthetics, nitrous oxide sedation, tranquilizers, intravenous sedation and even general anesthesia failed to affect the attitudes of my patients toward dentals treatment … Something was missing. It took me a while to realize…I was treating dental problems instead of patients with dental problems.

 … it was 1946 I had just returned to civilian life after my tour of duty in the South Pacific compliments of Uncle Sam and the U.S. Navy.  I was attending the annual meeting of the Alumni Association of the School of Dentistry of the University of Southern California.  The speaker was Charles Cooke, Ph.D. His subject was Hypnosis. I listened and thought “so what.” Several weeks later I attended a meeting of the Santa Monica Dental Society. The guest speaker was the same Dr. Charles Cooke … He announced that he was conducting courses in hypnosis, and he had me … I learned how to hypnotize… What to do next was my problem … I … realized that inducing hypnosis was only part of it.

Here is a sampling of mementos from his long professional experience:




Clippings 1956


Clippings 1959-1960


USC Alumni Journal 1960


The American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis April 1962







Journal of the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology 1963


One of the hundreds of programs, courses and lectures. 

One of scores of scientific meetings



From the National Enquirer date unknown


In 1990 he turned 90 and continued to lecture



His last lecture



No comments:

Post a Comment