Wednesday, September 23, 2015

No Phone Calls

Saturday 19 August 1944
Dearest,
     Just another day. Kept pretty busy this morning taking care of men from one of the ships here that doesn't have a dentist. Nothing much doing outside of that. We're just waiting to see what happens next.
     I suppose you've wondered why no phone call. Well if one is based on the station here phone calls are permitted, but ship's personnel may not make any phone calls so that is that.
     Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm going on liberty at 10:30 AM. That is the thing about sea duty. When one is at sea he is on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week. But when we hit a port, conditions being favorable, liberty is in a sufficient amount to satisfy most of us. You see, I have every other day from 10:30 AM to do as I like and nothing to do and no one to do it with. Gosh I wish you were here. I'm going sightseeing tomorrow. I should be able to see plenty in a whole day and then when this war is over we'll come here together and I'll really be able to show you around.
     How are my girls? I've been wondering what I could send them. Maybe as I look around I'll get some inspiration. And what would you like (besides me)? I'm going to wait until I hear from you before I buy anything foolish. Really, I'd rather buy something you particularly want instead of some useless souvenir.
     Sweetheart, don't worry about me. I'm well and safe. This separation certainly isn't going to allow us to drift apart. No as long as we have those ten happy years behind us, two darling little girls to love and care for and a whole life to live after this war is over. Just start making plans now and write me all about them and then will we enjoy life!
     Well darling, time for me to turn in. A big hug and kiss for you and another one for each of our little ones. Good night and pleasant dreams.

Loving you always,
Gil

USS Ocelot







2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful and heart warming to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting my dad's letters is a great pleasure. There are more than 400 letters yet to be shared.

    ReplyDelete