Sunday, February 14, 2016

All Over but the Shooting

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 27 October 1944, 9:30 PM

censored
My Dearest,
     I didn't sleep well last night. My arm was sore and I kept rolling over on that side and waking up. This morning I felt better except that my arm is still sore. I never thought a tetanus shot would bother me so much.
     This has been a quiet day for me. Saw patients this morning and just lounged around for the rest of the day. I finished a book "All Over but the Shooting" a humorous mystery story of war time Washington, D.C. My next book is "Let's Face It" by Throne Smith. Expect to start that his afternoon.
     After I finished reading I went to work on the ? I'm making for you and the kids. There will be many hours of work and I hope you will like it. Anyway the time goes much fast when I'm occupied.
     After dinner I repaired to the bridge and enjoyed the cool ocean breeze. Ambie and I found comfortable deck chairs and sat around and sang songs, old and new, for over an hour. Then we went into the wardroom for a game of Peek. By that time it was 9:00 PM and some of the officers who had night watches turned in so we broke up our game and here I am.
     Gee, Sweet I'd sure love just a little note from you now. Just to know that you and the kids are well and everything is secure. Guess I'll have to wait several days before I may enjoy that pleasure.
     In the meantime darling, good night. I'll see you in my dreams. I love you.

Devotedly
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment