Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Cribbage With Captain

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 9 May 1945, 10:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     This hasn't been too busy a day, but it has been a full day. I worked on patients all morning and for an hour this afternoon. Then I let the doctor talk me into going ashore; or did I sell him a bill of goods? Well anyway we went ashore.
     We found a table under some trees and sat, talked and drank beer all afternoon. At 5:00 P.M. our boat picked us up and we returned to the ship. After a nice cold shower, I dressed and then it was time for dinner.
     After chow Cox (my roommate), another officer and I joined the captain in a game of cribbage. We (Cox and I) won all five games (with a little luck). Then it was 7:30 PM so we broke it up and went out to see the movies.
     The movie tonight was "Frisco Sal" with Susannah Foster and though she does some good singing I can't say much for the movie--just fair.
     The mail brought me seven letters today. There were five from you, another from Libby and one from the Regan gal. Now here goes.
     I hope you haven't closed our San Diego account yet. I told you not to until I gave you the word. There will still be a check going there this month. It takes time for a change to clear all the red tape.
     Bet Leon ships out soon after this present leave is up. That is usually the way it works.
     You might as well give away my German books. I don't suppose they'll ever be used again. At least not until our girls grow up and go to college and by then we should be able to afford some new ones.
     Yes I know about your earrings but I doubt that I'll locate anything like that until I head home again. Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe I'll make you something you'll like better. It's a surprise and practically finished. Something for you, Norma, and Linda.
     I don't know how much Phenobarbital you are taking but it is habit forming and I'd be careful about taking anything like that regularly.
     You've really had a busy week with the Rosen party, dinner with Ruth, Cappy and Frieda, the Mah Jong game, etc. Also your letters have a tone of cheer that I'm very happy to see. When you get down in the dumps, you'll never know how much your letters worry me.
     That's about all there is this time Sweet, so I'll sign off. Good night Darling and may all your dreams come true and soon.

Loving you as always
Gil

Drinking beer on Mog Mog Recreation Island, Ulithi

No comments:

Post a Comment