Wednesday, December 7, 2016

V-mail Slower

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 28 April 1945, 8:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here is that man again. Today was a nice easy day. I really didn't do too much work. I had five appointments scheduled for men from another ship and they were cancelled the last minute. However I had five drop in patients so I managed to fill the morning OK.
     I saw one patient this afternoon and then I went to work on those bracelets I'm making for the kids. Linda's is finished and all I had to do on Norma's is put on the chain. I hope the sizes are right. I'll make them large enough so that a couple of links can be taken out if they are too big.
I got two letters today, one from you (an old one of the 13th) and one from Libby. She is using air mail again. I guess she figured V-mail would be faster but when I told her it took twice as long she switched back. V-mail from Europe makes the trip out to here in two weeks, so I guess V-mail is better in some cases.
     I wrote letters to Libby and Ruth today. I'm getting behind again. I must write your mother, Ethyl, Herman and "I" Bergman. Then I'll be all caught up until more comes.
Do I remember my own phone number? Silly girl--how could I forget? By the way one of our barbers went back to the states and I gave him our address and phone number. He will arrive at San Pedro so I'm sure he'll get in touch with you. He is a very nice chap and his name is Trubey.
     No more for now dear so I guess I'll sign off. Good night Darling and pleasant dreams. Sleep tight.
Love,
Gil






No comments:

Post a Comment