Friday, March 16, 2018

Pearl Harbor--Wagon Wheels

Sunday 20 August 1944
Hello Sweetheart,
     How are you today? Gosh I wish we had been together today. I had liberty and went ashore with three of the officers aboard. We had lunch at a place called "Wagon Wheels" and enjoyed a very good meal. I went ashore without expecting to have much fun. But Mr. Cox, one of the officers, knew some people and we visited with them. They were very gracious to us and we had a very pleasant afternoon. We killed about a fifth and a half of scotch and a pint of rum and when we said good bye we were feeling pretty good.
     We then returned to the ship and I found four letters for me, three from you my Sweet and one from Libby. She didn't say much and didn't send Jimmy's address and after missing a letter from you two days straight I read and reread all you said about what you and the kids are doing.
     Gee darling don't set your heart on my returning real soon. Maybe we will, but the way it looks now it won't be right away. Fact of the matter is we'll probably be here for several weeks and it may be a couple o months--who can tell what will be doing then.
     My Sweet, I do love you and miss you and what wouldn't I give for big goodnight hugs and kisses from our little ones, but I'll have to wait.
     Goodnight darling. I'll see you in my dreams.

Love,
Gil
Lt. (j.g.) G. Steingart


Wagon Wheels Restaurant
Waikiki circa 1945








No comments:

Post a Comment