Monday, April 16, 2018

Pearl Harbor--Buy Bonds

Sunday 3 September 1944, 8:45 AM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Just received your letter with a picture of Linda and am answering immediately. I read and reread your lecture but good God Sweet there isn't a thing I can do about it. Every time I write a longer letter and try to put something of interest in it the censor either cuts it or returns it to me for rewriting. If some of your questions remain unanswered, remember I can't tell you everything. For instance I can't say "I'm going to see "so and so." "so and so" denoting either a place or individual. I can't say how long we may remain in any one place or even what's doing where we are. Yet those permanently based here can do and say practically anything they like. However after we leave here or after I see someone or do something then I may mention it, so please be patient.
     As for the insurance on the car, take out the same coverage we had the last year. You ask what to do with the $725 from the Plymouth. Buy a bond with it. Not the series "E" though. Get "G" I believe it is. Anyway the same series as the $2,000.00 bond we purchased last.
     Yes dear we now have movies aboard nightly and I always attend except when on liberty. I don't always mention the picture because some aren't worth mentioning. Last night was a good one--you should see it. "The All American Romance," in color, with Brian Donlevy. It ran for at least 2 1/2 hrs and held me every moment it showed.
     The reason I got my liberty fouled up was because the schedule had been changed and I was misinformed--so what. Not much to do when I have liberty anyway.
     I had a long visit with the Captain yesterday and we are planning recreation for the crew. As soon as it comes of it I'll tell you all about it.
     So you want me to spend at least 10 minutes a day writing to you. Darling every letter I've written has taken at least 30 minutes. If there were more to write about I'd gladly take many times more time.
     I showed off Linda's newest picture at breakfast (the time the letter arrived). The tropical background and the color brought forth many complimentary remarks. I'd almost forgotten how big Linda was getting but the picture refreshed my mind. Please take snaps of yourself and the kids and send them on regularly.
     I must be off now. Have to see the Captain about some arrangements to be made. Don't be blue Sweet. I do love you and think about you all the time.

Missing you always
Gil
Lt (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot
FPO San Francisco



Sample Bond

Could this be the photo of Linda?  The foliage is tropical.
Linda at the San Diego Zoo in June 1944 






No comments:

Post a Comment