Sunday, August 19, 2018

Pearl Harbor--1 Woman 100 Men


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 6 October 1944, 10:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     I've sure been on the go today. Went on the ship's outing I wrote you about and got plenty of exercise playing volleyball and swimming. Plenty of sun also but not too much this time. Besides that I found time to drink six or seven cans of beer and eat a nice big steak. We left at 8:00 AM and returned at 4:30 PM. Then I showered, changed and joined a group of officers heading into town on a little fling. There were seven of us and we had a lot of fun drinking and kidding and what have you. I was able to chisel a station wagon for us for this jaunt and we didn't get back until 10:00 P.M. Please send on my driver's license. I couldn't drive myself because I didn't have mine and one never knows when I'll need one again.
     When we returned I found I'd hit the jackpot again--5 letters from you and also the music you sent along. You ask so many questions that I'll answer some tonight and finish the rest tomorrow. Here goes. As I've written before, Wally is partly correct but I wouldn't worry about that two years. Since he was here last, however, just for the record, all those houses he referred to have been closed down by the civil government. The ratio of one woman to one hundred men still persists. So even if I was inclined that way I'd find just a few obstacles to hurdle. I don't believe I'll send any Xmas cards to patients except to some few whom I care for particularly. And to them I'll write notes instead. I will send greetings to our friends however. Forget about any additions. I'm satisfied with my two girls and won't worry about a son and heir.
     All the officers are swell fellows and the reason I only mention some of them is because we have different liberty sections, so I never get to go out with some of them. The doctor is a very fine chap and I would like to make a liberty with him but we stand duty on alternate days and that is out.
     That is all for now, Sweet. I'll close with loving thoughts of you and of our ten years together. Good night darling.

Love
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment