Friday, August 31, 2018

Pearl Harbor--The Town

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 8 October, 1944, 9:35 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     This has been a swell day and I feel badly that you have to sit around and wait for someone to call while I'm really getting around and seeing things. Al Klein paid me a return visit today and we spent the whole day doing "the town." He came aboard at 10:00 AM. I took one and a half hours showing him around the ship. I learned a few things myself. Some of the explanations we got about different instruments were new to me even though I've been aboard for nine weeks or so.  There is always something new to learn. After our tour we sat around and gassed until 12:15 and then had luncheon aboard. Soup, salad, fried chicken, pie a-la-mode with lemonade and coffee to drink. It was as good as it sounds.
     After lunch we hopped into the jeep Al had. He showed me parts of this place I hadn't seen before. There are many beautiful homes, educational institutions and buildings that one can't see unless one has a car for transportation. We also drove along the coast and saw several interesting phenomena. Then a visit to a hotel for a couple of beers and a little walk to stretch our legs. Al hadn't seen the aquarium I've mentioned so we look in there also. By then it was time for dinner. Al led the way to a restaurant I hadn't been to. We had a steak dinner with all the trimmings and it cost $3 plus tip (no tax). The steak would have brought a least $6 at any mainland eating place. It was large, tender and tasty. Then we returned to the ship just in time for the movie "When Hearts Were Young and Gay" was the title--from the book by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Ethel Kimbrough. It is about the two authors when they were teen age girls. Put it on you "must see" list. It is the most refreshing and amusing picture we've had aboard for some time. After the movie, Al left and I found some mail for me. Two letters from you and one from my mother.
     Ran out of stationery so will finish on this paper. That stomach upset must have been something you ate. Hope you are all over it now. You sure haven't had much luck with household help. Hope this new girl pans out. Please don't buy too much for me in the way of Xmas gifts. Unless it is something useful I'd probably have stow it somewhere. Extra room is at a premium. However I guess you realize that and will use your judgment. Please finish typing up my course and send it on. I was hoping it would be here by now but I realize now how swamped under you must have been.
     Do you remember your birthday party many Thanksgivings ago when I gave you your first real engagement ring? Well after the war that new wedding band you've been wanting is going to be first on my list. Going to sign off my darling with these three words, "I love you."

Devotedly
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment