Monday, September 10, 2018

Pearl Harbor--Naughty Girl

Lt (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
USS Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 11 October 1944, 9:35 AM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, how are you this morning? Our chief pharmacist mate got a 30 day leave and is returning to the states. So last night we sat around and talked until so late, that I decided to do my writing this morning instead. It is now 10:45 and this is all I've gotten written since I started. Come hell or high water, now I going to finish.
     Picked up 220 library books yesterday and there are many best sellers amongst them. After I got the books back to the ship I went on liberty. I did a lot of window shopping but still have the $100. Nothing seems to be just the thing I'm looking for. I returned to the ship for dinner and found we had two new ensigns aboard. I got another letter from you in the afternoon mail and everyone wants to know how I do it. Guess they never heard of love.
     We had another good move last night, "Sweet and Low Down," with Linda Darnell, Lynn Bari, Jack Oakie, and Benny Goodman. After the movie I returned to sickbay and the long visit I mentioned at the beginning of this letter.
     You mention Miss Earnest. The last time I heard from her she wasn't working but I don't believe she'd work long for Dr. White. They just wouldn't get along. At least that is my guess. So what if he is busy? As far as your teeth are concerned you were a naughty girl when I was in private practice. You always had something to do instead of keeping dental appointments. Oh well after the war I'll make other appointments for you and you'll break them again, but who cares. We'll be together and having fun and plenty of it. I haven't heard from Libby in a couple of weeks but suppose I'll hear soon. If I don't find anything more by the middle of next week I'll get my gifts off to you both for your birthday and Xmas for all.
     You know honey, you still aren't yourself and I can tell very easily. You say in one letter you are enclosing a clipping and then if comes in the next one. You sent me the first page of Deb's letter but where is the rest of it? Take it is easy Sweet, when I get back I want to find you your old sweet self not a nervous wreck. And don't be so suspect when you miss a letter from me one day. When we put out to sea it might be a month or more before any mail will leave the ship. Just remember every day that passes is one day closer to the time when we'll be together again. And even though I won't be hearing from you when we are out at sea you'll always be with me in my heart. You and my two darling girls.
     Do you remember how you got a gift every time I got a big case until big cases came so thick and fast we quit that routine? After the war we'll resume that and continue regardless of how many and now often I get them.
     Honey, I must wind this letter up so that if gets off today. I'll sign off with love and kiss to my sweet wife.
Lovingly,
Gil
P.S. I've changed my mind about Xmas cards. Why not have some printed or made up with the signature:
Lt (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
Dental Corps--U.S.N.R
     I could use about 100. If you attend to it right away and airmail the cards to me I should receive them in plenty of time.
Bye again darling. I love you
Gil

This was the Xmas Card









No comments:

Post a Comment