Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Pearl Harbor--Will Leave

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
 U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 11 October, 1944, 9:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another busy day. Worked in my office all day long examining, extracting and filling teeth. It was so close that I was wringing wet. However, as soon as I went topside I was dry.
     The recreational gear I ordered was cut to the bone so this time I'm really ordering stuff. If we get it fine and dandy, if they cut me, we can get by, but I'll reorder a third time. Maybe by then I'll get what we need.
     No mail today except another song book, so I hardly have anything to write about. Although I've been busy it has been a straight routine and very uninteresting from a telling standpoint.
     We did have a very good movie tonight. "Abroad With Two Yanks." It is about two Marines in Australia but there is no war in it. Just a lot of fun from beginning to end.
     How is the new girl working out? Do the kids like her? How much time off is she getting? Gee, I hope everything is all set now and you can get out for an evening.
     Sweet, it won't be very long before we leave here and then you won't be getting mail for quite some time. After that you'll get a batch all at once just as you did last time. I know you'll be patient and not worry when the mailman passes you by.
     I'll send this off after the morning mail and now I'm going to turn in. Good night my love, my one and only. You are in my thoughts always and I'm looking to the day when you'll be in my arms again.
Lovingly
Gil






No comments:

Post a Comment