Thursday, October 25, 2018

At Sea--Welfare Officer


censored
Tuesday 24 October 1944, 10:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling how are you? Believe it or not this has been a busy day from the time I climbed out of my sack.
     I worked in my office until lunch time. Since then I've been busy with other duties. Because of some changes in the ward room mess I have a closing statement for the last period to complete and I haven't found anyone yet who understands accounting. Anyway I spent three solid hours doping out a statement and I hope I have it correct now.
     Then, as welfare officer, I've had calls for fishing line, medicine balls, poker chips, playing cards, dart games and what have you. To top it off I brought our record player down from the radio shack, where it was hooked up to the ship's Public Address System, and set it up to play from 8:00 PM till now. You see the rest of ship is dark and quiet after 8:00 PM to give watch standers a chance to sleep.
     Yes honey, I manage to keep my days full and like it better that way. How are you passing your time? Do the kids keep you as busy as ever or does Betty keep them out of your way? Gee I wish you could sit out on deck with me and enjoy the warm, balmy evening, look at the many twinkling stars in the sky and let me whisper sweet nothings in your ear! Now it would be time for a nice hot kiss and a bunny hug. That's the way I feel today. Sweet and all I can do is dream about you now. Well there will be many days when I shan't need to dream about you because you'll be right there and will I be willing and able! And will you?
     Well, Sweet, I am sleepy and will probably be awakened at 6:30 so I'm going to turn in now. But before I go, do you remember the first time you kissed me? My did you run. Bet after this war you don't run away. If you do I know a guy that'll catch you before you are well started.
     Good night Sweetheart, until tomorrow.
Love
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment