Thursday, August 27, 2020

Ulithi--Salami Mashed

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 21 May 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here is that guy again. I've been worrying about Norma ever since I heard yesterday that she had the chicken pox. 
However today's mail brought me the news that her case is a light one. Now I'm hoping that Linda doesn't get it and you forget about the whole deal in just a few days.  The mail came this morning and brought me four letters all from you.

     I was busy with patients all morning and after lunch I censored a batch of mail. Then I joined a group going ashore and played volley ball all afternoon. Wow, am I tired. Bet I sleep well tonight. 
     No cribbage game tonight so I came down to my office and found a package that came this afternoon. I guess you didn't take me seriously when I said pack everything well. The box was coming apart and the salami was all mashed up and the casing on it broken. It looks and smells OK but I'll not eat it until the doctor OKs it. Lord alone knows how long the casing was broken. However the cans that came with it are swell and are just what I wanted.
     The movie tonight is "None but the Lonely Heart" and should be 4.0. 
     Now to your mail. I see you've been teaching again. You must be OK or you wouldn't get all the calls that you're getting.
     I'm glad you enjoyed the evening at Ruth's and met some interesting people. So Ruth was expecting you to help her along on a gift for your mother. "Ain't" that too bad. I didn't realize that I was getting such a good buy on the perfume. I paid $9.00 for your bottle and $4.50 for both mothers' gifts. Don't tell anyone because I don't want to be bothered buying stuff for anyone else.
     Talking about wallets, see if you can pick me up a book of celluloid containers for cards and snaps to fit into my wallet. The one I got in San Diego is shot.
     I'm not surprised about the new incident at the Corsos. Bet Willie and Wallie are working (or should I say playing) together especially if Wallie has an apartment. I guess you were right and I wrong. Stay away from that outfit as much as you can.
     Well Honey, no more for now. It is time to go to the movies. Good night Darling, I'll see you in my dreams.

Yours alone
Gil

Some salami, not mashed








No comments:

Post a Comment