Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Okinawa--Makes My Blood Boil

 Friday, 2 November 1945, 11:00 PM

Dearest Eleanor,
     Another day gone, but still nothing exciting to tell about. Official word has come from Washington to decommission and abandon the Ocelot. Of course no one out here knew that was the word so nothing could be done. Now that we have the green light maybe we'll see some results.
     Here is another choice bit that makes my blood boil. The survey board that flew out from Washington took the weekend off to fly to Tokyo. It doesn't affect us because they've already surveyed our ship. However several dozen ships are awaiting their pleasure. They've been waiting for almost a month now, so what difference does a couple of days make.
     The mail brought me letters from you and your mother plus two dental magazines. Your letter was short note on the back of the one from your mother. It was dated October 26. Nothing to comment on.
     The movie tonight was a double feature. First we had Laurel and Hardy in "The Bullfighter" and then Pamela Blake in "Three is a Crowd." Both were repeats but I went just the same.
     A couple of days ago I sent my claim check for $410.80. Just mentioning it again. If you haven't received it yet, be on the lookout for it. I've endorsed it for deposit only so that you won't need to endorse it. Just deposit it in our account.
     And that is all the dope for tonight.     Goodnight my love. Though I can't say how soon I'll be home to say "I love you." Till tomorrow then.

Your devoted,
Gil 

Other ships













No comments:

Post a Comment