Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Okinawa--Holier Than Thous


U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Tuesday, 6 November 1945, 8:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another day gone but still no good news. There are no jobs for any of us to do, yet no one is being released until he has enough points. From the looks of things the Commodore of Service Division 104, the big boss here, is only interested in one thing and that is keeping his command as large as possible. Of course if all who had nothing to do were sent home, the commodore wouldn't have much of a command and the service division might get broken up. Then he'd be a captain instead of a commodore and we can't have that.
     I do hope you've done some letter writing. When the Navy is supposed to be cutting down, a good question is: why men should be kept out here with nothing to do? As long as I am in the Navy I'm not supposed to criticize the "holier than thous" who blundered through the whole war and left it up to the reserves to fight and win. They are out here because it's their career. They can't see why anyone should want to go home.
     Today, as usual, was spent loafing and reading. Tonight's movie was "The Gay Senorita" with Jinx Falkenberg, a story about Olvera Street in Los Angeles. The story itself was poor but the music and dancing made it excellent entertainment. I enjoyed every minute of it.
     I'm enclosing some more snaps. No negatives will be available so please take good care of them.
     Wish I could say something to cheer you up, but I just can't. I've let you down so many times now that until I actually have my orders in my hand I won't say a thing.
     No more for now Darling, so I'll sign off. I love you.
Sadly,
Gil

Unknown if these are the snaps that were enclosed











No comments:

Post a Comment