Saturday, March 26, 2016

Sunday Services

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 26 November 1944, 9:30 PM
Dearest Sweetheart,
     So this is Sunday! Well I can think back to when Sunday was a day with my Sweet and our two little darlings. But this is war and I'm out here doing my duty.
     I started out this morning as usual. By 2:00 PM I had put in thirteen fillings, polished five fillings, extracted one tooth, X-rayed five teeth and treated two cases of trench mouth. Whew, I'm all tired out just recounting my day's work.
     From 2:00 to 2:45 P.M. I had to arrange for the Catholic and Protestant service aboard. Just a few travails, such as bringing a piano out through one of the hatches and rigging up a mike for the chaplain to speak through. Then at 2:45 PM I left the ship in a motor whale boat and picked up one chaplain at one ship and the other at another ship and was back on the Ocelot by 3:15 PM. Took both chaplains up to meet the "skipper" and then showed each one where he was to conduct services. When it was all over I received several sincere thank yous from officers and enlisted men alike and though I did not attend service they tell me the arrangements were perfectly planned and everything went off smoothly. Anyway from now on services will be held aboard every Sunday.
     After the chaplains left I showered and changed. Then it was time for dinner. After eating I played my daily game of checkers and I'm really getting good. Roberts, the officer I play with, was beating me constantly and tonight I beat him six times and tied him once much to his chagrin.
     The mail situation hasn't changed at all. No airmail has been received since November 17 and very little of anything else. However every time the mail orderly leaves I get hopeful again. Maybe tomorrow will be my day. I do hope so. Aside from being with you, your letter is the next best thing.
     The movie this evening was really good. "Meet the People." Remember when we saw it on the stage? Well when they made a movie of it we passed it up and it's nothing like the stage show. If you get a chance, see it. There are plenty of laughs in it.
     Well darling, so ends another week. Do you remember how on Sunday night, maid's night out, I'd lay down on the couch listening to the radio and fall asleep?
     After the war I've got other plans for maid's night out. Can you guess what they are? If you can't now you'll find out later and I know you won't be disappointed.
     Good night honey, I still love you and think about you all the time.

Devotedly
Gil








No comments:

Post a Comment