Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Thanksgiving Day

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 23 November 1944, 1:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     This is Thanksgiving, the first one we've been apart for more than fifteen years and the last one I am sure.
     Yesterday was a bitch. It was hot and I was swamped all morning and part of the afternoon. I had seven extractions, nine fillings, and several treatments and examinations to make. Then, when I was through, a few of the officers decided to go ashore for a couple of hours. We hadn't gotten more than a hundred yards from the ship when the engine began to smoke and the boat had to be towed back to the ship. Thus ended the shortest liberty of my career as there were no other boats available at that time.
     So I played a few games of checkers and before I knew it, it was time for supper. After chow we sat around in a cool spot (comparatively only) and chewed the fat. Then it was 7:45 PM and time for movies. Another "oldie" but a good one, "Hollywood Cavalcade" with Alice Fay and Don Ameche. Then I turned into my sack and read for a while but didn't get far because of officers dropping in for a visit. My room seems to be one of the coolest on the ship, hence the popularity.
     Awoke this morning at 7:30 AM, showed, dressed and had a very light breakfast. The enclosed menu will explain the reason why. I had only one helping of everything and I'm stuffed like the turkey was before it was served.
     I had a light routine this morning so I spent an hour helping my corpsman get the library in order. It is quite a job, but the end is now in view.
     Well Sweet tomorrow is Friday and a whole week since I got any mail. Service out here is rotten so I hope you won't worry or be upset if you don't receive any regularly. I bet though when it does get here there'll be a stack of it.
     Darling, remember how I hated to write? Well except for our visits, I still hate it and after the war you'll be appointed my chief and only letter writer so help me!
     That is all now honey. I'm going to say "adios" for today. I wish I could wax poetic and express my deep love for you as I'd like but I can't so I'll wind up with my usual "loving you as always."

Your devoted
Gil








No comments:

Post a Comment