Monday, November 13, 2017

San Diego--On Watch


Tuesday 18 January 1944
1900 o'clock (7:00 P.M.)

Dear Eleanor,
    Good news--will be home Friday night.  I'm on "watch" tonight.  When you're on watch on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night you get 72 hours leave.  Watch means that you're on duty all night but probably nothing will happen.  We have a nice bed and the corpsmen take care of it.
    Bob Hope and his troop are on the base tonight, and I can hear the broadcast over the public speaker system.
    I finally got all my papers taken care of and began work this afternoon.  I started with what we call the "carriage trade," a commander.  Today, I visited with the men at the auxiliary clinic on the other side of the base.  Things are very quiet now because there aren't many ships here.  They come and go all the time.  When they're here, patients must be taken care of and in a hurry.
    Everyone here says I'll have a hell of a time getting back to the base by train or bus on Sunday night.  Men begin to line up at 4:00 P.M. and all they talk about is getting back.  I'll probably have to pick up a "junk heap" soon.
    Note my address on the envelope.
Love to all,
Gil

Clipping from the Evening Outlook 
  
Reverse side of clipping









No comments:

Post a Comment