Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Santa Monica--Letter from Libby

This letter was written by Lt. (jg) Gilbert Steingart's sister.

Thursday 13 January 1944
Dear Gil,
     Just received you letter and am answering immediately as I know how anxious you must be to settle up you affairs before you go.
     I haven't mentioned this before but Nat has applied for a commission and it looks like he will be in the service very soon.  We are expecting to hear any day now, so you see we ourselves are in the same boat as you folks.  We give Mother Frug $35 a month and Nat intends to give her the same amount even after he is in the service.
     I hope you can think of some solution because Mother doesn't make enough on her sewing to pay the balance of the rent her food etc.  Since Nat has his own mother to take care of and there is no one else, you will have to accept the responsibility. I don't know what else to suggest, Gil.  I'm sorry things are this way, but they are.
    I hope you will find you work in the Navy interesting.  Anyway, I do wish you all the luck in the world, Gil.
    Tell Eleanor the reason I haven't written lately is because my right forefinger is in a splint--I cut the tendon--and it is with extreme difficulty that I write.  I've written to Mother, of course, as I wouldn't want her to know about it.
    My love to all of you--
Libby
P.S. Do write to us when you can.

Undated photo of Libby








No comments:

Post a Comment