Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Leyte--Captains and Commodores

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 5 July 1945, 10:40 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another busy day. I had to move right along all morning and then had three patients this afternoon. After that I finished up my mess statement and that is out of the way for another month.
    I seem to have impressed some of the high paid help in the flag. Although he has two dentists on his own ship, I was called to take care of a commodore today. After I took care of this officer he asked me if I was reserve or regular Navy. I told him I was reserve and he remarked that with my operating speed and skill I should make lots of money on the outside. I laughed and told him I did alright by myself before I came into the Navy. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have a few captains and commodores with a good opinion of my abilities.
     I got one love letter from you today and it made me very happy. Do you know why? Just because you said you were in a happier frame of mind. You'll never know how upset I get when I read how unhappy and alone you are.
     The ship Jim Lyons was on has left but I'm sure I'll be able to dispose of the candy.  That never seems to be any trouble way out here. However the last batch of coffee candy was kind of melted. The only sweets I've received in perfect conditions were the glazed fruit you sent and the can of candy Deb sent. The heat ruined everything else so please don't send anything more unless it is glazed fruit or canned.
     We had a good movie but don't see it as it'll make you too nervous. It was "The Unseen" with Joel McCrea, Gail Russell and Herbert Marshall.   
     I'm glad you liked the novelties I made. I'll get busy and make some more. In the meantime I'd better sign off. I still have mail to censor and it is already 11:00 PM.
     Goodnight my Sweet and keep in good spirits. Better days will soon be here. I love you and miss you more than words can say.
Yours alone,
Gil








No comments:

Post a Comment