Friday, January 8, 2021

Leyte--Seasick

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 7 July 1945, 7:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Here I am again my sweet. As usual I had a busy morning. After lunch I wrote Libby a letter about Mother and we'll see what'll happen.
     At 1:30 I met the ferry boat coming from the beach and sure enough Simmie was aboard. He was starved so I took him up to the wardroom and fixed him up with some chow. Then we took a boat and went over to the Officers' Club. Poor guy, he got seasick going over and coming back though it was really calm out today. Anyway we had a couple of drinks and got back to the ship at 6:00 PM. Simmie lay down in my bunk until 6:30 and then we went up for dinner. Now he is reading in my bunk while I'm writing this letter.
     There is no mail to answer so there isn't much more to say. Tonight's movie is a mystery "Circumstantial Evidence."
     I just had a patient come over from another ship so I'll sign off because I want to get to the movie on time.
     No more. So goodnight Darling. I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil

Gil at Officers' Club Leyte




No comments:

Post a Comment