Friday, January 29, 2021

Leyte--What's Money?

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 14 July 1945, 11:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am though a little late. I worked this morning as usual but I did finish up a little early. After lunch I decided to go ashore, so I went over to Joe's ship and we ran down to the club. We had a few beers, sat and talked and at 4:30 left to return to the Ocelot. We got back at 5:30 just in time to wash up before dinner.
     After eating we played our nightly game of cribbage game until movie time. We had a real old movie which I somehow had missed. "Brother Rat" is the title. It was an excellent comedy about life at a military academy.
     Then we went up to the wardroom, had some coffee and talked for awhile. At 10:30 I came down here to my office and worked on the trinket I'm making for you. I should finish it tomorrow.
     The mail brought me a letter and card from you, a letter from Uncle Mike, an anniversary card from Libby and also one from my Mother.
     Read your accounting of expenditures but darned if I can tell you where to cut down. I'll bet, though, that when I get home there'll be a few corners that we'll cut. Do you realize that figuring $50 for rent, it is costing you $435 a month to live and that's for an adult and two kiddies? Surely when I was home added expenses for my clothes recreation and food ran up to more than $75 a month. I still say it costs too much. One consolation is that as a lieutenant I'll probably save an additional $50 each month.
     What's money anyway? From the way the war is going maybe I'll be a civilian soon and then we'll make up for lost time.
     Somehow we never did have a real "wetting down" party. Something always comes up so that those I'd want couldn't leave. The net result is that there weren't any headaches and all are happy just the same.
     So Darling. Again it is time to say goodnight. Wish I could do it the way I used to with a big hug and kiss. There will come a day! I love you too Darling.

Yours forever,
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment