Saturday, April 10, 2021

Leyte--Piano Tuner

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 6 August 1945, 10:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another day, another dollar or so the saying goes. About 11:30 last night the medical officer we've been looking for arrived and this morning Cox's relief also showed up. Now Dr. Bushyager and Dr. Law are waiting to see who moves. Bushyager hopes he'll go back to the states as he has eighteen months out. It won't make any difference to Law. If he leaves here he'll get another assignment out here. Well, we'll wait and see.
     I worked all morning as usual and this afternoon. I took a picket boat for a run into town to see about a USO show. I've got one scheduled for Friday night provided I can find a piano tuner in the meantime. I've got a line on a couple but I won't know definitely until tomorrow.
     I got back to the ship at 4:30, reported to the captain and retired to my room. Took a shower and then censored mail and read until time for dinner. After chow we played cribbage until movies and now here I am.
     I got two letters, a copy of the Outlook and some Navy literature. So the visitors were uninteresting? I'm sorry they had to spoil an evening for you.
     My mother's report about Nat's office is surprising. Now is the time to make money and it can't be done under a set-up such as his. Somehow I can't feel about things as Jimmie does. Maybe I'll feel different when I'm closer to the activities. I feel I'm doing an important and necessary job and though our separation has been a long one we'll make up for it later and in many ways.
     Of course Ruth wants Leon to be there for Harry's 50th. However if she's going to make such a fuss about it how can she ask everyone to go Dutch. What's the matter? Did Harry lose a couple of thousand in the market? Gosh she's tight.
     Yes dear we got the dope on the plane crash into the Empire State. As a matter of fact we have a very complete newspaper that comes out every night.
     Tonight's movie was old and lousy. "Barbary Coast" with Edward G. Robinson, Miriam Hopkins and Joel McCrea.
     That is thirty for tonight so I'll sign off. Pleasant dreams my Darling.

Love
Gil


Time Magazine article about Ulithi dated August 6, 1945. The USS Ocelot was in Ulithi from November 3, 1944 until May 24, 1945.Commodore Carter, mentioned in The Three Bs was aboard the USS Ocelot.






No comments:

Post a Comment