Monday, April 19, 2021

Leyte--Second Atomic Bomb

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 9 August 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Still hot and I'm still sweating. It looks like rain tonight; I sure hope it does rain. The war news is very encouraging with Russia being in it and the second Jap city already hit by the new "atomic bomb." Imagine the possibilities if such energy could be harnessed for useful purposes.
     Had quite a busy morning. This afternoon I took a few pictures and then had my mess statement audited.
     I've been offered the use of a jeep for tomorrow afternoon. So the skipper and I are going ashore after lunch to do some sightseeing.
     I had a haircut this afternoon and then after showering and censoring mail, I finished "China to Me."
     In the mail today I got three letters from my Sweet. It seems that you and I are seeing the same movies now. I missed a good one when I went ashore yesterday, but I'll probably catch it later. It was "Incendiary Blonde."
     Glad to hear you Lake Arrowhead plans are shaping up okay and I hope you have a swell stay there.
     Sweetheart, I wouldn't disappoint you for the world. I do hope to be home by fall but you know I don't write orders, I just comply with them. Maybe the war will suddenly end and the ship will return to the states even before that date. Who knows?
     Tonight's movie is the "Chicago Kids." Enough said. Goodnight Sweetheart until tomorrow.

Love,
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment