Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Leyte--Pom-Pom and Tuba

Kay Kaine is mentioned.  My dad probably meant Kay Kyser.

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 5 August 1945, 7:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Today is Sunday. As I've written previously, I am not taking any appointments on this day. So I have a whole day off. Well almost.
     Our baseball league competition began today so we took four teams over to the beach and ran two games simultaneously. After the game we served beer all around. We left the ship at 8:30 and got back at 11:30 just in time to wash and eat lunch.
     After lunch I settled the wardroom commissary bill. Then I worked up a rough draft of the mess statement. I read from "China to Me" until it was time to shower and dress for dinner.
     Chow this evening was excellent. We had chicken noodle soup, fruit salad, roast chicken with dressing, giblet gravy, peas and spuds (which are shipped). For dessert we had cookies and black walnut ice cream (I had two dishes). Then we played cribbage and here I am.
     Kay Kaines is out here and put on a shows last night and tonight. I was too tired to go last night and two lazy tonight. We sent a party of 150 men last night. They all enjoyed it except for five men who wandered off and got some "pom-pom" (guess what) for $10.00 and then drank some native brew called "tuba." When they got back to the ship they had to be carried aboard and have their stomachs pumped. Bet they never drink that stuff again. As to the pom-pom, prophylactic treatment was given. Although they'll undoubtedly get by, there is a terrific amount of venereal disease among the natives.
     I got two letters today. One from my Sweet and one from Libby. From the way Libby writes Nat's illness is serious. I do hope she is wrong.
     Today's letter was marked the 30th. Now I'm missing the 27th and 29th. I see you are still worrying about your weight. With all the running around and work you've be doing there shouldn't be any reason for dieting, unless of course you are stuffing yourself with candy. Are you?
     For tonight the movie is "Thrill of a Romance" and is supposed to be good. That is all for tonight so bye until tomorrow.

Love,
Gil

Another reference to pom pom on the 4th of July wardroom menu






No comments:

Post a Comment