Monday, March 16, 2020

Ulithi--Mess

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 16 March 1945, 7:05 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Didn't do any dentistry all day long. My office is still in a mess--the sink is still not completely installed. In the morning, I hope they can finish up quickly as I have a busy day planned.
     I worked on lesson six of my course and got it all ready for typing this morning. This afternoon, for lack of anything else to do and because I felt like it, I went over to the island for a few beers.
     After drinking a couple, another fellow and I went out shell hunting. The tide was way out and I found a mess of shells of a new variety, all with little live crabs in them. There were also many small pools of water left behind by the tide and we had fun watching the small tropical fish, one to two inches long skimming through the water. Wish there were some way of sending them home. There were some beauties there.
     We got back at 5:15 and I had just enough time to shower and change before dinner. Now here I am.
     The movie tonight is "Big Street" another oldie with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. Last night's "Intermezzo" was just fair.
     The mail this morning brought a bulletin from the Medical Department and a short note from Libby. When I got back to my office tonight I found a letter from you. I'm glad you enjoyed "Fun Time." Sounds like the kind of show I'd enjoy.
     Do as you like about bonds. I won't urge you either way. I've had my say but I won't resist because it isn't important enough.
     I hope Dave is right about when I'll be coming home. However his guess is only as good as mine. The next few months will tell.
     Well Darling, so endeth another letter. No real good news, but no bad news either. Of course you know I love you but I'll say it again, "I love you." Goodnight Darling, I'll see you in my dreams.

Yours always,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment