Friday, March 27, 2020

Ulithi--Squall

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 20 March 1945, 6:50 PM
Dearest Sweetheart,
     Here I be again. Today was just a nice easy day for a change. I saw patients all morning but there was no hurry. I secured (quit) at 11:15 and went up to my room and read until lunch. After chow I got ready to take the liberty party ashore. I mustered the men and got the beer. We all got into the motor launch and away we went. We got ashore at 1:45. I doled out the beer, amounting to six or seven cans per man. After they were all settled I walked over to the club. I had a beer and then walked along the shore looking for shells. I didn't find many today but I did find several "cats-eyes," stones suitable for mounting on rings.
     I got the men together and back into our boat at 4:15 and we headed back to our ship. On the way we got caught in a squall and by the time we got back we were all drenched to the skin.
     I showed and changed for dinner and after eating I went down to my office and here I am.
     Still no mail. If it wasn't that no one else was receiving mail I'd be worried but now I know it's just a tie up in service so I shan't worry. I do hope my letters to you are getting through OK without any slow-up.
     Tonight's movie is a Dr. Kildare picture, "Between Two Women." It's supposed to be good so I guess I'll go rain or not.
     I sure like my new pen. How is yours? Shall I get you one? Let me know.
     That is all for now darling. Good night Sweets and pleasant dreams.

Love,
Gil


Shore Launch






No comments:

Post a Comment