Sunday, March 8, 2020

Ulithi--Ship's Officers

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 12 March 1945, 7:40 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling here I am again. Today was a nice, easy day. I kept working all morning and part of the afternoon. It was able to do it leisurely so it was easy.
     At 3:00 PM I got undressed and climbed into my bunk and read until it was time to shower and dress for dinner. After that there was the usual evening routine of enjoying the evening breeze and sunset. Now here I am.
     The enclosed snaps were those that I have been promising to send. The informal group was taken last month in front of the Officers' Club ashore. The others were taken aboard. The large group is the ship's officers and the twosome constitutes the medical department. I don't have the negatives so be careful of them.
     There was no mail today for me so I'll expect twice as much tomorrow and I know I'll get it too.
     How has my spelling been lately? When I was writing about the court martial I was sitting in, I knew the spelling looked incorrect but it didn't come to me until the other day what was wrong.
     We had another doctor report aboard for duty so now we have two, and they're both busy. They are doing another appendectomy now and there is a possible perforated stomach ulcer case awaiting a final decision.
     Do you remember the good old days when I'd get the movie camera and the kids out in the back yard and shoot pictures and you'd object because they weren't dolled up? Wish I could do the same tomorrow and other things too, to which you'd better not object. Guess it'll keep for a few months longer.
     Well honey, I'm going to sign off now. Good night my love, I'll see you in my dreams.
Devotedly,
Gil


Medical Department
Gil (Dental Officer) and Bushyager (Medical Officer)


Ship's officers
Gil is the short one in the middle row


Casual photo Officers' Club
Gil bottom left





No comments:

Post a Comment