Thursday, March 5, 2020

Ulithi--New Suit and Coat

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 11 March 1945, 7:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, how are you today? I didn't feel so hot last night but after taking some pills and a good night's sleep I woke up feeling swell.
     Today being Sunday I didn't work so hard but still managed to kill the whole morning working.
     After lunch I let them coax me into going ashore to have a few beers and I'm glad I went. The afternoon was very pleasant, as a matter of fact most enjoyable. We got back at 5:00 PM just in time to shower and change for dinner. After eating I enjoyed a most gorgeous sunset. I won't attempt to describe it but the striated and rippled sky changed colors from a pale yellow to a gold, to a salmon pink, red and purple with patches of deep blue as a background for the colorful clouds.
     Now here I am. I got two letters today marked 2 March so here goes. Don't worry about the income tax. If you've overpaid we'll get a refund sooner or later. I'm glad you are buying some more series "G" bonds.
     I hope to have more snaps to send on soon. Be patient Sweet until they get through. Your new suit and coat sound swell elegant. Hope I'm home to see you in it before they are worn out.
     I got a letter from Leon and will write as soon as I can. As far as the kids are concerned, my writing him won't make any difference.
     I still think the news about Deb and Dave is great, accident or not. I'm hoping to be there when the grand opening takes place.
     Those clippings were interesting. It seems like some time since I received the last Outlook Service Edition but I suppose it'll get here in due time.
     Last night's movie "Tomorrow the World" was very good and thought provoking. Tonight we have a repeat "Standing Room Only" with Fred McMurray and Paulette Goddard. Of course you know I'm going.
     Well honey, I've rattled along and said nothing so here goes. I love you my Sweet and more every day. Gosh I can hardly wait till we're together again.
     Goodnight dear, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil

Eleanor wearing new suit and coat








No comments:

Post a Comment