Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Ulithi--Cemetery

  Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 29 April 1945, 6:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am again. Today was a real easy one.  This morning I had a few appointments and was through at 11:00 A.M.   After lunch I took the liberty party ashore.
     While on the island a Navy photographer asked three officers and myself to pose in front of a native cemetery. He took our names, ship, and home address. He said that the photos would hit the local newspapers in about one month's time. So you can be on the lookout around June 1, although I was looking away when the picture was taken.
     My roommate Cox just got his orders to return to Long Beach for shore duty. The catch is that he must wait until his relief arrives and that can be anytime from tomorrow to ninety days from now.
     There were no letters for me today, but I did get a luscious box of dried fruit from the Jaffe family. Just in time too because I just did away with the last of the box of fruit and nuts you sent.
     We have a 4.0 movie tonight, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."  After having no movies for two nights it'll really be a treat.
     Well Darling there isn't any more new or different scuttlebutt so I'll sign off.           
     Goodnight and keep smiling.
Loving you always,
Gil



Native Cemetery on Mog Mog
Gil (on the left) with other officers





No comments:

Post a Comment