Sunday, July 26, 2020

Ulithi--Poker and European War

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 6 May 1945, 10:15 PM
My Dearest,
     Today was Sunday, but except for church services aboard it was just another day of work. Oh yes, I begin work at 9:00 instead of 8:30 on Sundays, that is if nothing comes up---and it usually does in the shape of unappointed patients. Anyway I worked all morning until 11:45.
     After lunch I finished my wardroom treasurer's statement and then decided to go ashore. Had three or four cans of beer and returned to the ship at 5:15. Following my shower and dinner I sat in on a poker game until 7:45 and lost all of 95 cents.
     The movie tonight wasn't too good but had lots of laughs. It was "She Gets Her Man" with Joan Davis. After the movie I went up to the wardroom, read the morning news, had an orange and here I am.
     No mail today but tomorrow is another day. By the way Sweet one of these days you may not get mail for a spell. Don't worry; the first thing you know you'll get a whole stack.
     Looks like the European war is really washed up and soon everything will be coming out this way. With all the power we've shown and the mess the allies have made of Germany, I feel there is a good chance of a quick surrender by the Japs.  Anyway that's what they should do if they know what is good for them.
     Well darling, I'm all washed up for tonight and will hit my rack as soon as I sign off. Goodnight, Sweets, I'll see you in my dreams.

Love,
Gil

United States Navy Cards




No comments:

Post a Comment