Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Ulithi--Decks Hot Enough to Fry Eggs

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 2 May 1945, 7:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling, here I am again. Had a nice easy morning and was through at 11:00 AM. After lunch, however, they really had me hopping and it was 4:00 PM before I finally secured.
     These last few weeks have really been hot ones and I'm surprised that the heat doesn't bother me much. You know how lazy and listless I'd get whenever it got hot at home. Our decks were hot enough to fry eggs on today. But who stays on deck when one can find a shady spot with a couple of fans blowing? Dear, try to get hold of a March 31 issue of Collier's and save it for me. There is some stuff in the Iwo Jima article that I'll want. Don't strain yourself; there is nothing there for you to puzzle out.
     Last night's Laurel and Hardy picture was the poorest movie we've had to date. Tonight we have one that probably isn't much better. It is "Her Lucky Night" with the Andrews Sisters and Martha O'Driscoll. Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be good.
     There was no mail today so I guess I'll get a few extras tomorrow. No news to tell but I hope the rumor that Hitler has been executed is true.
     So long for now Sweet and I'll see you in my dreams tonight. Goodnight and pleasant dreams.
Yours alone,
Gil

Officers on the deck of the U.S.S. Ocelot
Gil is the short one



No comments:

Post a Comment