Thursday, July 30, 2020

Ulithi--German Unconditional Surrender


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday May 8, 1945, 10:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hooray,Germany has surrendered unconditionally. Still, they are fighting and many lives will yet be lost before the final curtain is dropped on the European stage. Out this way the war is developing nicely for the United States. I'm predicting that Japan will throw in the sponge before many months.
     In spite of the thrilling news from Europe, work goes on as usual out here. I had just another busy day. I worked all morning and part of the afternoon as well.
     I bought a Sheaffer Lifetime pen for you today. It's a ten dollar pen for six dollars. I hope you like it. Will send it on with some other stuff in a few days.
     Had a hair cut this afternoon and then after showered, and relaxed in my rack with a bunch of magazines--Lifes, Liberties, etc.
     The mail today brought a lone letter from Libby, an Esquire and a National Jewish Monthly. Guess I'll have to wait another day for mail from my favorite wife.
     We had a swell-elegant movie tonight "Bring on the Girls" with Eddie Bracken, Veronica Lake and lots of girls. It is really excellent be sure to see it when you get a chance.
     Nothing more to tell you. No new scuttlebutt or nothin! So--guess I'll sign off.
     Goodnight my love, sweet dreams. Thinking about you always.
Devotedly
Gil

Sheaffer Pen








No comments:

Post a Comment