Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Leyte--Black and White

 

Lt. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 19 June 1945, 10:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my Sweet, here I am again and feeling much better than I did last night. I doped myself with Codeine, APCs, and some Black and White mixture. Had a good night's sleep and awoke with my cold practically gone.
     As usual, worked all morning. After lunch four of us got a boat and went over to the hospital ship to see Jim Lyons. He is doing nicely and certainly is in good spirits. He should be evacuated soon. We had a rough trip back. It took an hour and the spray soaked me down pretty well. Had a shower and then I censored mail until 5:30 when I dressed for dinner.
     After dinner we played cribbage until 7:30 and then went to the movies. We had "Without Love" with Hepburn and Tracy. It was very good.
     There was no mail today but I really didn't expect any. I'm practically through with "It is Still the Morning" and I'm really enjoying it.
     By the way I took a box of those "vitamin pills" over to Lyons. I still have another full box so you can see how much candy I eat. I also have a full box of salt water taffy that my mother sent.
     After this letter I'll write to our mothers, Libby, Ethyl and others if I'm still holding out which I probably won't.
     Not a thing that's new since yesterday so I'll sign off. Goodnight my Sweet, I'm just dreaming of our happy days together in the not too distant future.
Yours alone,
Gil

A Hospital Ship
U.S.S. Comfort 

Was this the Black and White mixture?

No comments:

Post a Comment