Monday, November 30, 2020

Leyte--Commodore Relieved by Rear-Admiral

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 28 June 1945, 7:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my Sweet. Just as usual, here I am.  Had quite a busy morning with several emergencies and also saw three patients this afternoon. Then I made up another bracelet and will send it to Ethyl. I don't have a clasp but I'm sure Doc will be able to put one on. Then I showered and changed for chow. After eating I played cribbage with the captain and two other officers.
     In a letter I received a couple of days ago, you asked me a question that I forgot to answer. The commodore is the commander of the flag aboard our ship or I should say "was" until he was recently relieved by a rear-admiral.
     I received two letters and a card from you dated the 19th and 20th of June. Not bad service.
     I agree with you. Linda's drawings are excellent and show real talent. I'll save them. You mention a photo proof that is enclosed but no photo. Guess you forgot to enclose it.
     I'm sorry you are feeling blue again. It does seem like you feel like that periodically concurrent with you periods. Would you like me to rub your back? When I come home, I promise to do that for you any time you wish.
     Don't worry about me falling down ladders or hatches. I never get that tight. I'm very careful and quite agile (for an old man).
     Tomorrow, if I can get a boat for my own use, I'll run over to see Sol again. It's quite a way from here and it'll mean tying up the boat for a whole afternoon.
     That is all for now so I'll sign off. Oh yes the movie is another oldie, "Lucky Jordan" with Alan Ladd, but I'll go to see it anyway.
     Goodnight my darling until tomorrow, I am still
Your loving husband,
Gil


Commodore W.R. Carter's Farewell Message







No comments:

Post a Comment