Sunday, November 8, 2020

Leyte--Hotter Than Hades

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday, 21 June 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling, how was our baby's birthday yesterday? I'm missing so much now that it'll take years of catching and making up for it all.
     I had my usual busy morning and early afternoon. I found out just where Simmie is and will look him up in a couple of days.
     There is really nothing new or different to talk about. I haven't been ashore lately because the clubs have been so mobbed that there really isn't much fun in going over. In a few days things should quiet down a little and then I'll make up for last time.
     The mail brought me six pieces today. A letter marked the 14th, the Outlook which you sent and letters from my mother, Libby, Charlie Blume and Dave.
     My cold only lasted two days which is amazing because you remember how my sinuses would drain for days after a cold. It must be the climate but I'd still give it back to the Indians or Japs or anyone who really wants it. In the past few days, there has been no rain or overcast skies. It's been hotter than Hades. I sure miss the refreshing breeze we used to get at our last station.
     Last night's movie "The Great Mike" was a stinkeroo of the first order. Tonight we had an oldie but a good one, "Dixie" with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour.
     Graves was only out of the states for a year and he has gone back, so I'm still optimistic about being home in the fall.
     No more for now so I'll sign off with love and kisses to you and out sweet girls.
Devotedly,
Gil


The first few pages from "Leyte Lays," U.S.S. Ocelot song sheet. The Naval Censor Stamp is "signed" by Kathleen Windsor, the author of the sexy, racy novel "Forever Amber."











No comments:

Post a Comment