Sunday, November 15, 2020

Leyte--Booked

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 23 June 1945, 10:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my darling, how is my sweet wife tonight? Today was another typical work day. I was busy all morning. I've got my afternoons booked up with prophys; my corpsman takes care of those so that gives me a little extra time.  However I'm afraid it is just a lull before the storm and soon I'll be as busy as I ever was.
     I read a short but interesting book this afternoon. "The Postman Rings Twice" by James B. Cain, the author of "Double Indemnity." The next book on my list is by Thorne Smith, "The Passionate Witch." These are both from a shipment of thirty-six books the library received. I choose my reading matter before I break the books into the library. Once they get into circulation it's hard to keep up with them.
     Today I got two letters postmarked the 16th, one from Ruth and one from your mother. Guess I'll get yours of the 15th and 16th tomorrow.
     After dinner tonight we played cribbage as usual. Then we went to the movies. We had an oldie, "You Were Never Lovelier" with Rita Hayworth, Fred Astaire, and Adolph Monjou. Quite good even a second time. Of course it's so old I couldn't remember a thing about it.
     There will be some changes made in our set up soon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. No one knows what's going to happen because the Admiral isn't here yet. Here's hoping.
     There is no more for now Darling, so I'll sign off. Goodnight my Sweet. I'll see you in my dreams.
Yours always,
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment